TIME TO PAINT —- SUPPLY LIST
• Paper for substrate: hot press watercolor paper or smooth printmaking paper works best (I use Stonehenge printmaking paper). Cut to 10”x10”, 12”x12" or 9”x12” (small-ish, but not tiny) for studies. Another option is Blick’s Bristol, which comes in pads of 9”x12” and larger sizes. Bring enough for about 50 small compositions.
• Larger paper, panel, or canvas for substrate: we do not have wall space to work on, so the tables will limit the size we work. 18” or 20” could be your shorter side if you are working in a rectangular format. Square could be as large as 20”x20” if working on paper, 24”x24” if on stretched canvas or panel. Please gesso your canvas or panel in advance of the workshop. 4 – 6 larger substrates should be enough.
• Acrylic paints: bring artist grade acrylics, such as Golden, Holbein, Sennelier, etc., supplemented by student grade (Liquitex Basics, e.g.) if you like. NovaColor are a great buy (see link on my website). Bring 4oz or larger bottles/tubes. BRING ALL YOUR COLORS, not just those you like or don’t like or those you want to use up.
• 8 oz bottle of Blick Matte Acrylic White (see my Favorite Materials page).
• Brushes – Bring what you like to use, a variety, and not just cheap hardware store brushes. (You can bring those too, but bring good brushes).
• Soft rubber brayer, 2” – 3”
• Palette knife
• Acrylic matte medium (Utrecht brand) or soft gel (any other brand).
• Acrylic glazing medium (for diluting your paints and keeping them wet longer)
• Collage papers: your own painted papers as well as others; think pattern and color, not image. Opaque papers as well as translucent, not just deli paper and tissue paper.
• Drawing materials, such as pens, markers, pencils, colored pencils, crayons (Caran d’Aches NeoColor II are good), etc. Posca Pens are very popular paint markers and are available on Amazon and at Blick.
• Large roll of soft paper towels *
• Spray bottle for water *
• Container for water (think quart yoghurt container) *
• Small make-up sponges for applying paint.
• Any other bells and whistles you care to bring (scrapers, stencils, whatever)
For recommendations on specific materials, please go to my web site:
I will supply:
• Reams of 9”x12” cheap drawing paper for making collage papers and for other applications
• also 18”x24” drawing paper for your table
• Pearls of wisdom and pearls of stupidity
• Chocolate, on selected afternoons
* If you are flying, I suggest you purchase in town.